Motivation has been the core of attention among teachers throughout the years as it constitutes the backbone of the learning process. Learning is a complicated, dynamic process that gets completed through the learner´s motivation and engagement. The sudden digital transformation we have witnessed in the past years has made this progress even harder, and precisely this makes it so necessary to find new ways to teach and engage. Increasing motivation is not as easy as following a formula.
What is the project about?
The project “Maximising learner´s motivation, engagement and learning through gamified environments” (MAXIMUS) aims at designing, developing, and testing a digital, customizable, and interactive motivation system to engage students in learning and, at the same time, facilitate learner’s participation, their self-development while mastering transversal skills, deep thinking, and creative expression. The system will include game-like elements to inspire game-like reactions and engagement among students. MAXIMUS gathers seven full partners and one associated partner (Microregion 11+) from four different EU countries: Slovakia, Spain, Greece, and Portugal
- Increase the level of stimulus in classes through technologies in a meaningful and effective way
- Increase learner´s motivation & active engagement & at the same time increase learner´s transversal skills, critical thinking, and creative expression
- Enable learners to monitor their own progress and reward their progress/success. Also enable teachers to monitor learners’ progress in a variety of areas
- Create an open and accessible environment for the school community
- Help teachers/learners meet smart (achievable) goals in the course
- Provide useful tools for teachers to motivate and engage learners
- Regional Development Cluster – Western Slovakia (Klaster regionálneho rozvoja)
- MAIEUTICA COOPERATIVA DE ENSINO SUPERIOR CRL
- Institute of Entrepreneurship Development – iED
- Colegio Los Peñascales
- 5th High School of Agrinio
- CESUR – Centro Superior de Formación Europa Sur
- Sukromna zakladna skola BESST, Limbova 3, Trnava
Kick off Meeting in Trnava, Slovakia
The kick-off meeting of the “Maximus” project took place between 30 September and 2 October 2021 in Cífer, Slovakia. During the meeting, the consortium had the opportunity to discuss several project managements issues, plan in detail the division of work for all its outputs and reflect on the use of gamified environments. Partners highlighted the fact that the motivation system developed in the framework of this European project should be flexible enough to provide an attractive and adaptable environment to the different school realities.
Results Achieved So Far
Maximus System Design and Set Up – We have finalized the demo version of the Maximus system, which is accessible through the project website: https://maximusproject.eu/outcomes/. The design has been based on the valuable feedback provided by teachers and learners from the different participating schools in Slovakia, Spain, Greece and Portugal and the graphic design skills of technological partners in the project, IED from Greece and KRR from Slovakia.
- To test and upgrade the Maximus platform– Each school will organize at least two rounds of testing before the platform is validated and upgraded to an APP for mobiles.
- To provide teachers with useful tips on how to gamify learning
- To provide Maximus users (teachers and learners) with graphic & video instructions to facilitate its use.
- To organize several dissemination activities to broaden the project’s horizons and to organize 7 multiplier events at the end of the project to present the finalized project outputs to a broad audience.